Friday, April 18, 2014

Sappy Movies



Those who know me know that I'm not generally a fan of sappy movies; I'm not drawn to the "happily ever after" media, the tales that neatly get wrapped with a bow in one setting.  My friends tease me about my love for sad movies.  Truth is, I'm drawn to sad movies because they seem to better mirror reality; life is difficult; it doesn't get worked out after a 30 minute episode.

Earlier this week I was watching a movie in one of my classes.  It dealt with a lot of difficult issues, so initially I liked it.  And then the ending: it ended with the kid getting out of the psych ward after 5 days and meeting a girlfriend there and his buddies all getting better and the coveted pizza party celebrated.  Blah!  Way to ruin what felt like a descent film by throwing a Hollywood ending on it.

As this thought crossed my mind, I was convicted in my spirit.  Wait, maybe this isn't as far fetched as I first judged.  As Christians, aren't we promised a day in which there will be no more tears, crying, pain, or death (Rev 21)?  Don't we have the hope of a Redeemer who will return and restore His world to become what He originally created it to be?  Don't we have a Conqueror who will once and for all defeat crafty Sin and Death?  Aren't we promised a happy ending in which our God and King returns, bringing us into right relationship with Him, creation, and one another?

Perhaps Hollywood doesn't have it all wrong.  Yes, we currently live in a broken world filled with heartache and pain; we see it everyday in the news and in our own lives.  But there is a greater reality, one that we often cannot see: God's reality of shalom and hope and prosperity, His original creation.  And further, His promise to restore His world to what it once was.  The Easter story proves that we are promised a happy ending.

Come, Lord Jesus, come. 

No comments: