Thursday, December 19, 2019

He Knows My Name


I recently gifted my preschooler with a Scout dog. For those unfamiliar with the toy, it’s a stuffed animal that you can program with your child’s name and a few of their favorite things. After setting it up, I presented it to my son and watched his eyes and grin widen as he heard the pup speak his name.
“Momma!”, he shouted excitedly. “Momma, the doggy knows my name! He knows it’s me!”
He was amazed that this toy KNEW him! Sure, he has other toys that can say generic phrases, but this one spoke his very NAME!

As I watched my son’s awe and wonder at being called by name, I was struck by the reality that Someone much more important knows his name, and my and your names too! Sweet friend, God sees you and calls you by name. On your loneliest days, you are not hidden from His sight. When you’re struggling with your worth, He calls you beloved, valued, seen. He saw you in your mother’s womb, sees you in your proudest moments, and sees you at your lowest of lows. And He doesn’t simply see you; you aren’t just another member lost in the crowd. He sees you and calls you by name. He sees your pain and heartache and calls you to His loving arms. He sees your confusion and disappointment and calls you to seek His wisdom and hope. He sees the lies that you’re believing and calls you walk in the truth of who He says you are. You are not hidden, not overlooked. God sees you. God calls you by name.

But now, this is what the Lords says- he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel: “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summed you by name; you are mine. Isaiah 43:1

You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay our hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139:1-16

No comments: