Friday, May 8, 2009

Celebrating the New


This week has been filled with new experiences.

Last Saturday I got to go to the Kaizer Chiefs v. Orlando Pirates soccer game, the two big local rivals. The game was incredible! Soccer excites me anyway, but these guys had some made skill! It was incredible! I was especially impressed with the Chief's goalie. The environment of the game was an experience in itself! I believe there were around 52,000 fans there. The stadium was packed! People were decked out in their team's gear, complete with banners, crazy hats, and noise makers of all sorts. I think I may have lost some of my hearing. Tehe. It was fun to see the unity formed between complete strangers by something as simply as a sport, as well as the fairly competition that it brought between the Klaasens and the Voxers as we cheered for rivaling teams (as well as the not so friendly competition that it brought between other rival fans. Yo! I think the intensity in the stands was greater than that on the field during parts of the game).

Tuesday another young woman, Dezzi, joined the Cynergy team. She moved to Reigerpark in January after matriculating last December and has unsuccessfully been looking for work. Though Cynergy does not have the resources to pay her, it gives her something to do, an avenue to help someone, and the opportunity to join the Legends on courses. Dezzi is a long awaited answer to prayer. Desperately we need more staff, especially as my time in SA is quickly coming to a close. Dezzi is exactly the kind of help that Cynergy was looking for; she’s young, from the area, and filled with passion. It’s been awesome getting to know her. Already she’s experienced so much of life. The other day she shared with me that both of her parents died within two years of each other. She said the experience was one of the hardest that she’s had to face, but also the most growing. I pray that she continues with Cynergy on a long term basis, not just for Cynergy’s sake but also her own; already Reagan and Nikki have begun to empower her to reach for her God-given destiny.

Dezzi was also a good reminder of where I was just a few months ago. It’s fun to see how much I’ve grown, not just in what I do with Cynergy, but also who I am as a person. God is growing me like a weed! It’s grand!

Wednesday was Nikki’s birthday, so we threw a surprise party for her Tuesday night. It was a blast! She was completely blindsided by it. It was so rewarding to see the joy on her face, so rewarding to be able to give back to her. She has impacted me so much. She has shown me that I am capable, that it is simply my fears that have been holding me back. I’m grateful for the opportunity to give back to her and to celebrate her life.

Yesterday I experienced my first IPL Cricket game (or any cricket game for that matter). I went with Nikki, Reagan, their three kiddos, Laura, Jo-Charm (Nikki’s sister) and her two children (Andrea and Alex), and Lykita. I enjoyed the time spent with them more than the game itself, though I did start to get into the game once I understood it. It was raining all day, which meant a lot of time huddled under blankets with Kaylin and Andrea while we waited for the game to continue (apparently one can’t play Cricket in the rain). It was an awesome opportunity to get to know these two little girls. Overall, it was a day well spent learning about SA sports as well as getting to know my SA family a bit better.

The rest of the week has been fairly uneventful. As usual, we rolled out in the schools. Lately I’ve been taking more and more classes on my own. I’ve also started to solidify relationships with a few of my learners. It is so rewarding to see how excited they get when we walk into their classroom. It’s even more rewarding to see how much they’ve grown in the last term, not only academically but also in their confidence. On mornings when I’m tired and worn out, they give me the energy and motivation to continue on.

During the past few weeks, God has taught me a lot about perspective, especially through the Vox/Cynergy conflict. It wasn’t until a meeting last week that I pulled myself out of the situation and simply listened to both sides as neutrally as I could. It was interesting to see how much of the conflict wasn’t based on actions but on how these actions were interpreted. I’ve noticed this in many of my personal relationships as well. Throughout my time here, I’ve had several conflicts between one of my coworkers. Reflecting back on these, I realize that it was rarely the action but rather the supposed motive behind the action that started the fire. It’s left me wondering how much of it is based on personal insecurity and misunderstandings rather that maliciousness. It’s also left me wondering how to resolve some of our issues. This has taught me to be careful how I judge people and their actions, to try to seek the truth rather than what I want to believe. I’ve also realized just how easy it is to skew the truth, and how different people’s realities can seem, how differently people will interpret the same situation.


Praise the LORD!

-For Dezzi. Like I said above, she is an answer to prayer. Not only is she a much needed coworker, but also a much needed friend.

-For Nikki. And for the opportunity to celebrate her life this week. She has blessed me in more ways that I can verbalize.

-For my SA family: Reagan, Nikki, Lykita, Jo-Charm, Andrea, Alex, Dillion, Kaylin, Jacin, and Laura. They're the ones that get me through each day.

-For the opportunity to work with and love on my kiddos each day. For how much they've grown academically and personally over the last term. For the opportunity to continue working with them for a few more months. For their beautiful smiles, laughter, and hugs.

-For growing me.

-For teaching me Truth.

-For incredible friends and family back in the States.

-For new opportunities.

-For answered prayer.

-For love.

-For birthdays.

-For life.

-For pictures.

-For letters from home.

-For encouragement.

-For hugs.

-For forgiveness and second chances.

-For using me to change His world.

-For His Word.

-For joy.

-For hearing me.

-For His incredible plan for our lives.

-For hope.

-For His faithfulness.

-For peace.

-For technology that allows me to communicate with loved ones half way around the world.

-For you. For your prayers and support.

-For cheerios.

-For memories.

-For soccer.

-For courage and strength.

-For rest.

- For keeping His promises

Please pray:

-For my mother. Apparently she messed up her knee somehow Dutch Dancing this past week. She's had knee trouble in the past. Pray for a speedy recovery. She's supposed to teach swimming lessons in a month. Pray that the doctors have wisdom. Pray that she takes the time to rest and take care of herself. Pray that God will surround her with people who will help her get all that she needs.

-For other friends at home that are struggling. Pray that they learn to trust God. Pray that He provides all that they need, that His truth is made evident. Pray that they make wise choices, seeking God's will rather than their own. Pray that they are humbled. And please pray that I learn to trust God with my loved one's well being. It's difficult being so far away when the people that I love are hurting. Desperately I want to fix everything, but I can't. All I can do is pray, trusting God to take care of the rest.

-That God continues to provide Cynergy with human and financial resources.

-For wisdom, truth, guidance, and understanding.

-For resolution.

-That I learn self-control and discipline.

-That I follow where God leads me.

-That I learn to listen for God's voice.

-That God leads and guides Laura for His name sake. That His will for her life is made obvious.

-For Jared and Monica Ayers. Pray that God provides all that their family needs. Pray that He blesses their ministry and that it glorifies Him.

-For transparency.

-For a revolution in our schools, in this country, and in our world.

No comments: