Saturday, March 30, 2013

Amazed

Yesterday I attended a Good Friday service, which like most Good Friday services, had a somber feel as we reflected on the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.  Further, the pastor described some of the things that God has  redeemed us from through Christ: sin, fear, shame, selfishness.  As he went through the list, I stood amazed by all the Christ has saved me from.
As a person who has grown up in the church, I know the Easter story well.  Even as a small child, I could have told you how Jesus died on the cross to save me from my sins.  Still, this year this truth hit differently.  As I sat through the service, I began to reflect on how much God has grown me over the past year or so.  As the pastor discussed being freed from fear, I felt a lightness as I reflected on the deeply rooted fears that God has uprooted from my life recently.  As he discussed shame, I sat joyful in the freedom that God has given me from shame as He's shown me the truth of who I am in Him.  As he discussed sin, I praised God from breaking the bonds of sin in my life and repented for the sins that I continue to turn back to.  As he discussed selfishness, I praised God for the opportunity to serve those around me.

Friends, it truly is amazing what God did for us on that cross those 2000 years ago.  And it truly is amazing what God continues to do for us as He brings redemption and restoration into our lives.  Join me in praising Him for that, please!

So  if the Son has set you free, you are free indeed! John 8:36

No comments: