Friday, November 1, 2013

Lessons from 1st John: Love

While reading through 1st John 3 yesterday, I was convicted about what love truly means.  As 1 Corinthians 13 says, love is not self-seeking.

As I've struggled to know how to love a particular person in my life, I thought I was doing pretty well in this area.  I wasn't acting manipulatively that she may give me something or do something for me.  However, I realized I had a secret agenda; there is a behavior in her life that I don't agree with, and I was loving her in hopes that my love would cause her to change her behavior.  That's self-seeking.

God's love isn't forceful; rather, it is compelling.  God doesn't command us to turn from our sinful ways in order to receive our love, but we change in response to God's love for us.  Overwhelm by His great love for us, by the reality that while we still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8), we give up our selfish desires that we may live for Him.

Papa, please teach me to love as You do.  Teach me to love selfishly.  Teach me to see those around me as You do that I may love like You.  Teach me to offer a love that is so overwhelming and accepting that it is transforming.  Teach me to love as You do.

No comments: