Saturday, August 16, 2014

Waiting...

It's been over 10 years since God first laid a desire to serve in Africa on my heart; in that time, multiple mentors in my life have encouraged me to continue my education that I may be better equipped to serve.  As each chapter in my life closes, I start praying, asking God if this is the start of my opportunity to head overseas.  He's been gracious to me and allowed me to serve in Africa short-term, only growing my desire to be there longer.  I was sure that seminary would be my final step of preparation, but God had other plans, plans greater than I could never imagine.  And yet I felt discouraged, feeling like the waiting game would go on forever and I would never achieve my goal.

During a conversation  with my supervisor the other day, she encouraged me to continue to hope and trust in God's timing.  As I reflected on our conversation, I was reminded of how often God asked His people to wait: He asked Abraham and Sarah to wait for a son, the Israelites to wait to be released from slavery in Egypt, then wait to enter the Promised Land.  He asked His people in exile to wait for His Redeemer, and asks His people now to wait for Christ's return to fulfill His kingdom.  So while waiting can be difficult, I'm in good company and can rest assured of God's perfect plan. Praising God for His grace and patience with me and for His perfect plan for my life.

No comments: