Sunday, October 9, 2011

Justice


For whatever reason, lately God has torn my heart has been opening my heart to the injustices in my own neighborhood: the prostitutes a few streets over,the homeless man on the corner, the impoverished little girls who have lost their innocence too soon, both abortion clinics within a block where I live, the domestic violence shelter right across the road, the broken life that sits beside me in class. It's everywhere!

As God opens my eyes to all of these, I am overwhelmed. It's simply too much, so I cry out, "LORD, put an end to it!" Bring Your justice now! Bind up the brokenhearted; bring justice to their persecutors."

And as I pray, God gently convicts me: "My child, be careful what you ask, for your hands are not innocent."

Truth. For how often have I looked the other way? How often have I judged those living in lifestyles that I don't agree with? How often do I forget that they too have a story, that there's a reason that they are where they are today, and usually it isn't because they want to be there? How often do I treat them as part of the scenery rather than people with stories and hearts and hurts? How often do I forget that these to are image bearers of God? These too are His precious children.

Papa, begin with me. LORD, forgive me for the unjust ways that I treat the people around me. Forgive me for my judgments. LORD, break my heart for what breaks Yours. Open my eyes to the injustices that surround me, and open my eyes to the role that I play in furthering that injustice. Forgive me for my complacency and cowardliness, LORD. You are God of all; nothing is impossible with You. No one is too far gone for You to reach. No one is too unlovable for You to love. Teach me to love like You do, Papa. Begin with me. Use me to spread Your love, truth, and justice in this world. Use me to show Your compassion to the marginalized. Open my eyes and my heart, Papa. Where You lead.


And the word of the LORD came again to Zechariah: 9 “This is what the LORD Almighty says: ‘Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. 10 Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other.’
Zechariah 7:8-10

“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. 24 You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.
Matthew 23:23-24

Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you;
he rises to show you compassion.
For the LORD is a God of justice.
Blessed are all who wait for him!
Isaiah 30:18

But you must return to your God;
maintain love and justice,
and wait for your God always.
Hosea 12:6

The LORD loves righteousness and justice;
the earth is full of his unfailing love.
Psalm 33:5

And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7 And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8 I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”
Luke 18:6-8

I will sing of your love and justice;
to you, O LORD, I will sing praise.
Psalm 101:1

Blessed are they who maintain justice,
who constantly do what is right.
Psalm 106:3

I know that the LORD secures justice for the poor
and upholds the cause of the needy.
Psalm 140:12

It is not good to be partial to the wicked
or to deprive the innocent of justice.
Proverbs 18:5

When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous
but terror to evildoers.
Proverbs 21:15

Evil men do not understand justice,
but those who seek the LORD understand it fully.
Proverbs 28:5

learn to do right!
Seek justice,
encourage the oppressed.[a]
Defend the cause of the fatherless,
plead the case of the widow.
Isaiah 1:17

No comments: