Thursday, October 4, 2012

Step lightly

Your twenties is often an exciting time of constant transition and change, constant discovery, and often, constant planning.

Often it's in your twenties that major life decisions occur about college and career and marriage and friendships and beliefs.  Often it's a crossroads of decisions that direct the rest of your life.  And while this is often an exciting time, it can also often be a stressful time as pressures to map out your life abound.

Except not.  It doesn't have to be.  It can be stress free.

Once again, God has asked me to surrender my plans, to stop living in tomorrow and simply enjoy what He's given me today, for His gifts are more than enough.

There's a popular verse in Psalm 119 that describes God's Word as being a lamp to our feet and a light unto our path.  This isn't a spotlight as we may think of in our culture but  simply a lantern that offers just enough light to see our next step.  God's challenging me to stop asking what His plans are for me 10 years down the road or for when I finish school or for next semester or next month.  Rather, I'm learning to ask God what He has for me this day, how I can be used by Him and for Him this hour, this moment.  I'm learning to trust Him to guide each step rather than demanding I have a full layout of the journey.  And I rest assured in the things that He has for me.

God is good.  Where You lead me, LORD, I will follow.  Step by step, moment by moment, I will follow.

No comments: