Thursday, February 28, 2013

Mouse Vomit

Yes, the lovely mouse escapades continued.

After the sticky traps failed, I went out and purchased traps that would definitely trap the little guy (and kindly close the door behind him so I didn't have to see his lifeless body).  The morning after I set the trap, I knew it had been a success as I heard the little guy giving his final squeals.  When I returned from work to dispose of the trap, the little guy had done it again!  The little houdini somehow managed to get in and out of the circular snare without a trap.  How on earth?  This clearly was not your average mouse!

And then a thought occurred to me: the sounds that I heard in the morning didn't sound like they were coming from the floor where the trap I was currently examining was located.  No, the sounds seemed higher up, perhaps nearer the windowsill hidden by our counter, nearer to the original sticky trap.  No!  The little guy couldn't possible return to the peanut butter that first ensnared him.  After all of that struggle, surely he learned his lesson, right?

A quick glance over the counter proved otherwise!  Sure enough, the lifeless body lay fully sprawled on the glue of the trap.  My pity quickly turned to disdain.  What a stupid creature!  He knew full well the lure of the treat would only lead to death.  Only a stupid creature would so toy with its fate!

And as I stood judging the tiny guy, this verse came to mind.

As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly (Proverbs 26:11)

Instant conviction, hey.  For how often do I return to the same sin knowing it ultimately leads to death?  How often do I walk away from God into the lure knowing full well that it will only lead to pain and struggle?  How long do I, like this mouse, toy with temptation only to become ensnared?

Papa, forgive me for not following You.  For giving me for letting my eyes wander from Your truth to the lies of worldly enticements.  Forgive me for seeking momentary pleasure from that which I know will only lead me far from you.  You are my King.  Lead and guide me for Your name sake.  Where You lead, I will follow.  LORD, give me the strength and discipline to follow Your commands.

No comments: