Saturday, February 2, 2013

Serious business


As Christians, we all know that sin is serious business.  However, I feel like often our knowledge and belief don't align on this.  While we KNOW that sin is detrimental and ultimately leads to death (Romans 6:23; 1 John 5:17), but do we really believe it?  Yes, I KNOW that I shouldn't let my eye wonder to that thing that brings me pleasure but leads me away from God, but will one quick glance really hurt?  Yes, I KNOW that I need to set boundaries in my relationship and reserve certain aspects of it for marriage, but crossing this one little boundary just once isn't going to hurt anyone, right?  Yes, I KNOW that I really don't need to indulge in a third piece of pie, but what will it hurt?  Yes, I KNOW that I should be productive and tackle that project that I've been putting off, but one more hour on this game isn't going to effect anything, right?


I just finished reading through the book of Leviticus.  Believe you me, that book doesn't mess around when it comes to sin!  It's very clear on the consequences of sin and how its original audience was to respond to sin. Admittedly, I was a bit grossed out as I read through the details of the sacrifices.  After getting over that, though, I realized something.

Perhaps our culture doesn't take sin seriously enough.  No, I KNOW our culture doesn't take sin seriously enough.  It's become easy to justify our sin away, minimizing the things that we do wrong instead of fleeing from them.

What little thing have you been engaging in despite the Holy Spirit's warnings?

No comments: