Monday, July 8, 2013

If he is a demon, he must be a good one, for look at the beautiful place he's brought me.

"If he is a demon, he must be a good one, for look at the beautiful place he's brought me."

When I heard this quote while watching a movie the other day, it struck me: such a strange thought, associating demons with goodness!  And as I pondered the thought, I realized how often we believe this.  So often we give into the temptations of this world, we pursue the things that God has warned against, we believe this lie: "How could this thing be harmful when it's led me to such delight?  How could it bring devastation when it feels so good, so right?  How could a demon led me to such a beautiful place?"  The father of lies deceives his; the crafty one knows that, were we to see the results of our choices that God has forbidden, we would flee from them!  We would run hard away and straight into the arms of Jesus!  He knows, and so he deceives us into believing that the deadly brings life: surely premarital sex will enhance your future marriage; after all, you'll be more experienced.  Surely stealing from the company will give you the head start that you need; every fortune starts somewhere.  Surely taking your anger out on that driver will help you; after all, catharsis is good for you.  Satan is up to his same ol' tricks, promising the goodness of God only to deliver death.  It's what he's done since the Garden.

No comments: