Monday, August 5, 2013

He's got a plan




Camp a few weeks ago was challenging.  After an exhausting Wednesday, I was spending the evening talking with one of the campers about his struggle to listen to his counselors and what he thought we should do about that when I got a phone call from another counselor who informed me that somehow their devotions had turned to the topic of the rapture and now all of her girls were terrified that Jesus would come back that night and they would never see their families again.  Eish.  Uh... be right there?

I finished up with the camper I was with, then headed to the cabin.  I pulled the counselor out to get a better grasp on the situation.

"Okay, let's take a minute to pray about this, because honestly, I have no idea what to do here."

We prayed for words and wisdom, for God to move in these girls' hearts.  Then we went back into the cabin.

We asked the girls to gather on their beds, then I asked then what had happened.

"We were talking about Jesus coming back and stuff, and now we don't wanna sleep.  What if we never see our moms and dads again?"

I thought for a moment, then said, "Girls, you know that song we sing in rally, the one about God having a plan?"

"Yeah"

"Well, does that song say God has a plan for us?"

"Yeah."

"And do you think God's plans are good or bad?"

"Good?"

"Do you think we can trust God?"

"Yeah!"

The conversation continued; we spoke of how God has a plan for every one of us, of how He knows all of the hairs on our heads, of how He knows what's best for Him, of how His plans are greater than we can even imagine.  And before I knew it, the once scared and crying girls were giggling as grins crossed their face; the conversation ended with mention of flying with their dogs in Heaven someday,taking them up to play with Jesus.  And I felt an easy smile cross my face as well.  =)

As I left their cabin exhausted, I was humbled by God had chosen to use me that week, humbled by how He had empowered me to do things far beyond my own strength.  More so, I was humbled by His perfect plan for me: of how He'd yet again allowed me to serve at a place that I love, showing His kids how much He loves them.  Of His perfect plan of jobs and internships, of time overseas and close to home, of family changing and growing, of deep love, of healing, of challenges, of growth, of life-changing relationships, of schooling, of truth, of passion, of wonders greater than I can even imagine.  And again that easy smile spread across my face.  Join me in praising God for His perfect plan!

No comments: