Friday, April 18, 2014

Perfection

Awhile ago, one of my professors was teaching about Creation and the Garden of Eden.  In his lecture, he focused on a phrase that, while repeated over and over throughout Genesis 1, has often been misinterpreted in our modern context.

 "And God saw that it was good."

Good.  As we stretch our imaginations to envision what the Garden of Eden looked like, Creation unspoiled by sin and death and decay, often we envision a place of perfection.  A garden vibrant with trees in full bloom, the fragrance of flowers filling the air, animals living in complete peace, humanity at it's wisest and grandest; we envision a world in which all inhabitants thrive together rather than competitively stepping on one another to get ahead.  We envision perfection.

Yet God doesn't declare His creation as perfect.  He calls it good.  In fact, God commands humans and animals to multiply and fill the earth; He blesses Adam and Eve and says to them "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it.  Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground." (Gen 1:28).  God creates, then invites His creation to join in fulfilling His plan; He invites us to take part in His glorious design.

As a recovering perfectionist, this is good news for me.  It removes the burden of perfectionism from my shoulders.  God did not create me in my fullest forms but invites me into His work, giving me space to grow and learn in Him.  He creates me in humble form that I may rely on Him always instead of pridefully puffing myself up through my own deeds and character.  Like a little child, God invites me to follow Him as He leads and guides me for His name sake.


No comments: