Saturday, January 4, 2020

Anticipate the mess

Lately, one of my three year old's favorite things to do is make cookies together. He's getting pretty good at measuring and leveling ingredients; this week I even let him crack an egg! Despite his best efforts, a good third of the ingredients fall out on the counter between scooping them out of their container and into the bowl. No worries! I've learned to anticipate the mess. You see, while making cookies with him makes the process so much slower and SO much messier, the quality time and sense of accomplishment that he has afterward more than makes up for the inconvenience. I treasure our time together and jump at the opportunity to build into our relationship, even if it means scrubbing counters and floors (and occasionally the dog when he gets under foot).

I wonder if that's how God feels about us sometimes. "Those silly humans! They're so slow to catch on to My directing, and boy they're great at making a mess of things! But I simply love them enough to patiently guide them through the mess. My heart longs for relationship with them that I'll invest My very self into their lives; I'll muddle through the mess to draw them closer to Myself."

I'm so grateful for that level of love!

No comments: