Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Fear

Like most preschoolers, my son has an evening routine that brings him comfort and security as he drifts into sleep: a book, prayers, and hug from momma or daddy, his nightlight on, a special teddy bear snuggled tight, and his blankets wrapped snug as a bug in a rug. With daddy out of town a few days ago, we decided to throw routine to the wind and engage in a special sleepover in momma's room. As my son's breathing slowed, indicating that he'd given into sleep, I realized something: he didn't have any of his usual comforts. He was suddenly okay with the dark room, he no longer needed the security of tightly wrapped covers or a snuggly friend. Why? Because he was comforted by something greater. He slept soundly knowing his momma was right there beside him.

I think God calls us to the same rest in His presence. We fool ourselves into thinking we can find peace and comfort through temporary things: if only I secure this relationship, I'll be at rest. Surely another drink or a higher dose or another snack will give me the peace that eludes. If only I can achieve all of the things and prove myself, I'll find true security. We turn to idols while God gently calls, "Come to me, all who are weary, and I'll give you rest. Surrender to Me, and let me be your peace. Fear not, for I am with you; I hold you in my righteous right hand."

So do not fear, for I am with you; don't be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Come to me, all who are weary and heavy burdened, am I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn  from Me, for I am gentle and humble, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:28-29

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not be afraid. John 14:27

No comments: