Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Getting into the swing of things

This week I spent the majority of my time with Nikki and Reagan. We assessed six schools, two high schools and four primary schools, then spent hours upon hours grading the assessments (when I close my eyes, I still see check marks and circles and spelling words). The results were discouraging. If I student got 10 out of 30 on the spelling portion, we rejoiced at his/her success. It just shows that we have a lot of work to do in the next few months. I can’t wait to see where the learners are at in a few months. They have so much potential! They simply need someone to help them tap into it.

The educators certainly haven’t taken on that role. According to Nikki and Reagan, their biggest problem isn’t the students but the educators. Most of the people in the area are impoverished. As students, their told that if they become teachers, they will be given full ride scholarships to college or university (which are very different here; basically if you’re going for your teaching degree, they’ll give anyone a scholarship to college despite academics. Only the brightest go onto university) and they’ll have job security throughout their life. These two things are very appealing, and even more so when they’re combined. Thus, many go into teaching for the wrong reasons. As Nikki put it, “many teach without it being their calling”. This shows in very obvious ways.

The other day when we assessed grade 4s at a primary school, I walked with the educator who I would be helping give the assessment to his classroom. As we walked, he flat out told me that “his students were idiots and worthless. They really have a problem with reading. Someone should really do something about that”. I was floored! A) You don’t call a group of 9 and 10 yr olds worthless and idiots. They’re just kids! No wonder these learners become so discouraged; their teachers are constantly telling them how stupid and worthless and below par they are. Of course they’re going to drop out of school with such abuse. Of course they’re going to become criminals when that’s what their educators tell them time and time again. B) Someone should do something about that? Isn’t that YOUR job? It made me so angry. A lot of the educators couldn’t care less about their students; they’re simply waiting for their paycheck at the end of the week. Apparently there was a teacher last year who didn’t show up to class for 3 weeks and would then forge her weekly reports. Absent educators are all too common. We were only at each school one day, yet 2 of the primary schools were missing teachers on the day that we were there.
I can’t get my mind around how someone could do a job their entire life just for the paycheck. I guess I’m used to the privilege that the States offers of pursuing any career that I want. I’m not used to the desperation that some of these educators face. I don’t fully understand that this was the only positive choice that they have. Still, it bothers me how little they care for the students. During every assessment that I was a part of, the educator left the room throughout the entire test. I was only supposed to help with the test, not do the whole thing let alone deal with disciplinary problems (which is especially difficult with the language barrier). I don’t understand how the teachers can’t see the effect of their behavior. Nikki and Reagan have tried explaining it to them, but it simply doesn’t click. I asked Nikki if they teachers were trained on positive reinforcement and such when their in college/university. She told me that the college training is very poor, and though the teachers from university do a fine job during their student teaching while they’re under constant supervision, they quickly change once they have a job because they don’t want to have to work as hard.
It doesn’t help that the principal has no authority to fire an educator. If there’s a problem, the principal must file a report. An educator is allowed 10 reports before the board looks at any of them. Most of the time this leads to nothing. Thus, the educators are left to do as they please with no one to keep them in check. And so they do.
Leadership in general is a problem here. It’s amazing to see the difference that a good principal can make at a school. Two of the schools that we’re working in have incredible principals. The results are obvious. His leadership is passed onto his educators, who pass it on to their students. The students at these schools are much better behaved and doing much better academically than those at the other schools. Nikki informed me that South Africa’s leadership problem extends all the way to their government. Basically in the government here, it isn’t what you know but who you know. You may have an incredible idea (like Cynergy), but unless you know someone, the government isn’t likely to support you financially or otherwise. They’re praying that this changes with the upcoming election.
On a more personal note, God’s really been teaching me about depending on Him in everything. It was a huge adjustment going from being extremely independent in the States to being completely dependent here. If I want to do laundry or get groceries or get to work, I have to rely on someone else to take me. I have to rely on those around me to teach me the ropes of living in South Africa, where nothing is familiar. But through this, I’ve learned to rely on God more. I’m learning to trust Him to provide for my every need; I’m learning to trust His plan for me even when I don’t understand it (which is often). Most of all, I’m learning that I can’t do anything without Him, and that I can do anything with Him. It’s amazing the things that Christ is using me to do! I never could have imaged doing them, and I know that I could never do them on my own.

Highlights of the week:
-Yesterday after church, Laura and I headed to Rosebank for lunch. They have an African Craft area there, which reminded me a lot of Shipshewana. After exploring this, Laura and I sat down for coffee and had an incredible conversation. It's probably the first genuine conversation that I've had since I've been here. It was so refreshing. I'm so glad that Laura is here!
-Friday night I went with Laura to youth at Word and Life (Woord and Lewe) Church. It was a blast! It reminded me a lot of evensong, which was nice. The lead singer of Tree63 was doing a concert there as well, so the place was packed.
-For the past week, David and Angie Smith, a couple from IWU, have been living next to me. Again, it was like a piece of home was brought to SA. Though we were complete strangers, they seemed so familiar. Angie definitely took on the mother role while she was here, which was surprisingly comforting. It was so nice to have them here. I'm bummed that they left today.
-Wednesday I was not having the best day. I got some unpleasant news Tuesday that I worried about and thus didn't get much sleep that night, leaded to a grumpy Sharon in the morning. I was so preoccupied Wednesday morning that I couldn't even give the assessment at the primary school, which of course frustrated me. Somehow, we managed to finish the assessment early; I took advantage of the time by taking pictures of some of the students, which they LOVED! Then a bunch of the learners gave me hugs. It was just what I needed. Tehe.
-Friday and Saturday we didn't have power. Not exactly a highlight, but definitely an experience. Tehe. It was a bit freaky actually. Laura and I were at the movies when it went out. We were just sitting there when all of the sudden everything went black. Not a big deal in the States, but a bit freaky in SA.

More and more SA is starting to feel like home. If only all of my loved ones could come live here too; then it'd be perfect. Tehe.

Praise the Lord:
-For Laura. Like I said above, I'm so glad that she's here. It's so nice having someone here who understands my perspective. I can't wait to see our relationship grow.
-For power. It's crazy how quick we are to take things like lights and refrigeration for granted, that is, until they're taken for us.
-For Nikki, Reagan, and their family. They have been such a blessing. They never cease to amaze me!
-For beautiful sunsets
-For empowering me to do more than I ever thought possible
-For providing for my every need.
-For homemade cookies. Tehe. Yup, I've started baking here just like at home. Tehe.
-For bringing me here
-For His incredible, unconditional love
-For loved ones
-For precious children who make my day!
-For hope
-For second chances
-For health and safety
-For thunderstorms
-For beauty

Please pray:
-That I continue to build relationships here
-For continued health and safety
-For Cynergy. Pray that God provides the funds that they need. Pray that the students enter the program with open hearts and minds. Pray that God uses this program to work miracles. Pray that God provides more facilitators for the program.
-For Nikki and Reagan. Pray for protection over their marriage and family. Pray that they're able to find balance between work and rest. Pray that they trust God with all of their hearts, souls, and minds. Pray that He provides for their every need. Pray that their stress is removed.
-For safety for Jeff and Sarah as they fly in from Capetown tonight.
-that Laura gets over her sickness soon
-that God continues to strengthen me. I can do all things through His strength, but I can do nothing on my own. Pray that I learn to depend on Him for everything
-that I have open ears and eyes as God teaches me daily
-for Vox
-for loved ones at home who are struggling

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WE LOVE YOU
Love US

Anonymous said...

Hola love....we love you like pretzles love peanut butter! Lindsay and Laura and Laura and LaRaye just got done praying for you...twas swell and guess what...God is going to deliver to you sweet dreams tonight and PEACE!! hommie...
K we love you!!! (we are all here chillen on the coutch!)
stay sexy ;)

Kelly said...

Sharon! It is a highlight of my day to find that you've posted something new. And your posts are always detailed and awesome! excitement!