Friday, February 20, 2009

Treasures



Therefore, since through God's mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart. Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:1. 16-18

Living in SA, I've noticed that it's quite easy to become discouraged. It's easy to be brought down by the seemingly endless problems here: poor education, HIV/AIDS, extreme poverty, crime, violence, hunger, orphans, the list goes on. It's easy to become blinded to what God's doing here by all that still needs to be done. Though it's easy to become overwhelmed by the huge need, I'm learning to focus on all that God IS doing, learning to treasure the things that He gives me every week. Here are a few of the treasures from this week:
  • Lakeside grade 4 Afrikaans girls- After our first week of rolling out the program, Lakeside primary was my most discouraging school. Many of the students didn't even know the letters of the English alphabet. However, Lakeside was my most encouraging school this week. Over the past few weeks, I've been working with a class of grade 4 Afrikaans girls. The girls were amazing this week! We started the lesson by going over the sound card, which they knew very well. Then we continued with last weeks lesson by going over the spelling of the words on their homework page. I turned this into a game, which they loved. It's so encouraging to see their excitement to learn. I treasure the time that I have with these girls, their excitement about learning, and their excellet behavior
  • Bianca- I just love this little girl! Now whenever she sees me, she reaches for me to pick her up. The other day she got scared and ran to me for protection. I treasure the innocence and love of this precious little one. I treasure the opportunity to love on her.


  • Laura- I just love Laura! Tehe. It amazes me how she cares for me and how she's willing to invest in me. I treasure our friendship
  • Reagan- This man is hilarious! Cynergy is stressful beyond words for his family, yet he remains gentle and playful in spirit. Earlier this week he took a squirt gun from his son, Jakin, and began squirting Nikki with it. Daily he adds childlike joy to the time that I spend with him. I treasure the joy that he brings to my days.
  • Hugs- This week some of the students have not only embraced the program but also embraced us. Tehe. Their hugs (and the ones sent to me across the internet, tehe) always brighten my day. I treasure the touches that communicate love from both near and far.
  • Sunshine- It just brightens my day! Tehe. I treasure feeling God's warmth through the beauty of His creation.
  • Home Cell- I treasure the community that God has given me.
  • God's Truth- I treasure having the Truth to defeat the lies of this world.
  • Prayers- There's few things better than knowing I am enveloped in prayers from all over this crazy planet of ours. I treasure knowing that I am not alone in my ministry, and that I am empowered by a God with whom NOTHING is impossible.
Please pray:
  • That I am able to focus on the daily treasures that God gives me rather than the problems of this world, on the eternal rather than the temporary
  • For health. I've been sick all week, which has been extremely draining
  • For spiritual strength and discipline
  • That God's love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control shines through me throughout this week
  • For unity in our team
  • For the kids to hunger for knowledge and to be encouraged during our time together
  • For safe travels for my mom as she flies in this coming week and that we're able to enjoy our time together
  • That, in all that I do, I bring glory to our Lord and Savior

No comments: