Sunday, July 18, 2010

Snapshots: Namwianga

So, I've been putting off posting about this part of my time in Zambia because I struggle to find words that accurately describe it. This is where I left my heart.

Namwianga is a mission's organization that has three parts (at least those are all the parts that I know of): a clinic, an orphanage for older children called Eric's house, and an "orphanage" for younger children (preschool and below) called The Haven. The Haven is where I spent my time.

I say "orphanage" when referring to The Haven because a lot of the kids aren't actually orphans. Many have a parent or some sort of relative that is still alive but simply cannot take care of the child. Usually this is because the mother has died so the family has nothing to fed the child or because the child is sick and the family cannot take care of him/her. The Haven's mission is to reunite children with their families or villages once their families can take care of them and once the children are healthy and strong. Those without living relatives move across the street to Eric's house once they reach elementary age.

The Haven is divided into three buildings. The first building is for infants. I spent a good amount of time rocking these little ones and simply gazing into their beautiful eyes. The second building is for toddlers. I didn't get to spent much time in this building, mainly because I went into the other two buildings first and couldn't tear myself away from those kids. The third building was originally build to be a hospice for children who are chronically ill, especially those with HIV and TB. But praise the LORD! Thanks to medical treatment, these children are living rather than dying! These are the kids who really stole my heart; I wish my suitcase was large enough to carry all of them home with me (and then put my kiddos from Haven 1 and 2 in my carry-ons ;-)). I spent a good chunk of my time at Namwianga simply loving on these little ones; I loved finding different ways to make them smile. Tehe. Yup, these are my babies.

Ok, words are failing me now. Time to bring in the pictures. :-)


Sam Mary


Dow Cintia


Dorsi and Kim Denis

Christine

Bright and Junior

Elaine Hamilton
Miller Jana

No comments: