Thursday, September 23, 2010

Saul

Over the past few days, I've been reading about the life of Saul as recorded in 1st Samuel. Initially, Saul wasn't one to stand out in a crowd. He is a Benjamite, from the smallest tribe of Israel, whose clan is the least of all the clans of the tribe of Benjamin. (1 Samuel 9:21). One day, he's out looking for some missing donkeys when God sends Samuel along to tell Saul that the LORD has chosen him as king of Israel. The LORD empowers Saul, making him into a completely different person (1 Samuel 10:6). And how does Saul respond? When Samuel makes the public announcement of Saul's kingship, Saul hides (1 Samuel 10:22). When his son defeats the Philisgines, Saul takes the credit (1 Sam 13 and 14). When the LORD rescues the Isralites from their enemies, Saul again takes the credit, evn as far as setting up a monument in his own honor (1 Sam 15:12). 1 Samuel 15:34 records: "And the LORD was grieved that he had made Saul king over Israel."

Now, I don't know about you, but that's not something that I want to be known for. I never want to grieve the LORD. I pray that He gives me the humility to follow in the plan that He has prepared for me, the humility to always remember that He is the source of my strength and success.

Where You lead for YOUR glory, LORD

No comments: