Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Christmas lesson

While exploring post-undergrad options, a friend stumbled upon a sweet program that intertwines grad school and the peace corps.  To be completely honest, it was the first option that I found that actually excited me.

As I read through the details of the program, my excitement quickly turned to fear for several reasons.  One, though I'm embarrassed to share this, was because the program requires participates to live in the lifestyle of the people, which, from stories of my aunt's experience in the peace corps as well as my experiences in Africa, I know can be quite primitive.  Ashamedly, I'd become quite comfortable in my American ways, quite comfortable in having running water and a refrigerator filled with fresh food and electricity that keeps my house warm and allows me to share these thoughts with you now.

As I pondered the things that I may be required to give up, the Holy Spirit tapped on my heart, reminding me of Someone else who gave up the comforts of home for the sake of others.  Especially during this season, I can't help but reflect on the wonder and sacrifice of God becoming man, of the Creator of all things giving up Heaven to dwell among us, the amazing truth that our God CHOSE to give up everything, including His power and majesty, to come to earth as a helpless babe.  Wow.  What a mighty God we serve!

The nudging continued as I remember that we as Christ followers are called to do the same.  We too are asked to give up the comforts of this world for the glory of God.  And more so than simply giving up stuff but also giving up the security and trust that come from my own plan, that come from being in a place of familiarity and of people who are dear to me.  Now, I'm not running off to join the peace corps just yet, but I am wrestling with what I'd be willing to give up not for some earthly organization, but for Christ.  Is there anything that stands between He and I, anything that I would cling to when He has clearly told me to let it go?  LORD, rid me of any idols in my life.  Take away any people or possessions that come between You and I.  Papa, I surrender my dreams to Your plans.  May Your will be done.  Where You lead me, LORD, I will follow.

No comments: