Monday, July 4, 2011

Jeremiah

I've also recently listened to the book of Jeremiah on tape while driving to work.  Though admittedly there are times that I'm distracted and zone out from what I'm hearing, other times hearing the Word has brought it to life; the enthusiasm and animation of the narrator's voice make the images so much more vivid.

This happened while listening to Jeremiah one day.  Time and time again God spoke through Jeremiah, using him to warn His people to turn from their disobedience or else face God's wrath.  God warned them over and over again, but to no avail.  Finally, God did what He said; He poured out His wrath on Judah.  When I heard the people's response, I literally laughed out loud!

"God, why is all this bad stuff happening to us?  Why have You turned away from us?  Why aren't You protecting us?  Why are You allowing us to feel Your wrath?"

Really Judah?  Really?  God told You time and time again to turn away from your sins or else face His wrath. Yet you continuously ignored Him, and now only when you're in trouble do you turn from Him.  God gave you fair warning.  In the words of Jeremiah, "Why should the living complain when punished for their sins?" (Lamentations 3:39).

As I was having a good laugh at Judah's ignorance, God quickly humbled me.  How many times have I done the exact same thing?  How often do I ignore God until I desperately need Him?  How often do I minimize the impact of my sins, justifying that such-and-such really isn't so bad, surely not as bad as this other sin someone else is doing?  How often do I live for myself instead of for God?  Yikes!  Yes, I would like another piece of humble pie, please.

LORD, forgive me for living for myself.  Forgive me for living selfishly.  Forgive me for engaging in activities You've clearly warned against in Your Word.  Forgive me for following my own path.  Forgive me for seeking my comfort and pleasure instead of Your glory.  Forgive me for my idols, LORD.  Teach me to love Your law.  Teach me to live for You above all else, to live for You alone.  Teach me to love You with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  You are God alone.  Where You lead, I will follow.

No comments: