Sunday, July 29, 2012

Daughters

This past week I had an incredible opportunity to serve at camp.  The week was filled with laughter, silly songs, Bible verses, crazy games, and the general goodness of camp.

And for me, the week also contained heartache.  I've had the privilege of watching many of our counselors grow from preschoolers to campers to CITs to counselors, and they have become close to my heart.

And so my heart broke as I heard their struggles.  Young women growing up in the church yet still uncertain of their identity in Christ.  I see them striving to be loved, striving to be beautiful, striving to prove their worth.  And it breaks my heart!  These girls that I know and love haven't been taught that who they are in Christ is more than enough, that they are beloved by the King of kings and Lord of lords.  They've been indoctrinated by who the world says they should be and how the world says that they should act; the message of the world has drown out the message of the Cross.  And this breaks my heart!

So this is my plea: for those of you who have daughters, reassure them of that they are dearly loved, that God's love for them is unconditional; nothing will ever change that.  Show them that God loves them and has great plans for them.  Treat them in such a way that they can't deny their beauty.

And for those who don't have daughters, I ask that you reach out to your sisters, friends, lovers, neighbors, coworkers.  Speak God's love, truth, and justice into their lives.  Treat them as holy princesses, for their Daddy is the King of kings.

And for all, I ask that you pray against the lies of this world, against the lies of our culture.  Pray that God's truth would be louder, that it would pierce the hearts of the women around you and shine through them.  Pray that they would be infected with God's love, truth, and justice in a way that's contagious.



No comments: