Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sight


Yesterday I drove home from work, driving the same stretch of highway that I always do, pulling off at my usual exit, pulling into the left turn lane like always.  Only this time as I drew my car to a stop at the light, something was different.  For as I looked up, my eyes were meet by a pair of eyes with a story to tell, eyes that have seen too much, a life heavy with experience.  And below those eyes I was greeted by a tender and gentle smile of a man living on the street, a simple cardboard sign in his hand.  I was greeted by God’s baby.
As I looked into his gentle eyes, God gave me eyes to truly see this man.  This wasn’t a man who was down on his luck or facing the just rewards of his actions.  This was God’s baby, a child of the King of kings, a masterpiece of the Creator of all things.  I searched my car for a small offering for a man of such stature, rolling down my window and presenting him with a simple granola bar.  More so, presenting him with the dignity of someone looking him in the eye and sharing a conversation, treating Him as a son of the King and God’s baby deserves.
And here’s the irony of the story: he wasn’t the one blessed through the interaction.  I was.  In conversing with this man, God reminded me of His great love for all of us, His great love for those society has deemed the least of these.  Seeing the glitter in this man’s eye and experiencing his gentle demeanor, I couldn’t help but be encouraged as I felt the pull of God’s unimaginable grace.
LORD, thank You for Your mercy, favor, and grace.  Thank You for Your great love for us.  Please empower us to show Your mercy, favor, grace, and love, Your truth and justice, to the world.  Papa, send us with fire to go love the world.

No comments: