Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Warm Gifts


The other day I was at a friend’s house for a gathering of worship, fellowship, and prayer.  As the night went on and darkness fell, a chill filled the air.  Being the cold-bodied being that I am, I quickly felt the chill, wishing I’d brought a warmer jacket.  Not wanting to interrupt the atmosphere of worship, I glanced around the room in search of a blanket but found none.  Rather than speaking up, I simply spent the night cold only to discover as I left that directly behind me lay two blankets nestled beneath a table. 
I wonder how often it is with God, how often He has gifts for us so close yet just out of view.  I wonder how He longs for us to ask for these gifts, longs for us to seek His favor.  He is the Provider of all that we need; every good and perfect gift comes from Him.  So why do we seek these gifts from another?  And why do we hesitate to ask our Papa for the things that we need?
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. 9  “Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.  Matthew 7:7-12

No comments: