Friday, September 7, 2012

Perhaps I spend too much time with children


Those who know me at all know that there's a sweet spot for kids in my heart.  God's given me a heart for these little ones, and my time reflects that heart as I care for babies 5 days a week, am enveloped by children on Sundays as I help with our kids ministry at church, and pretty much find any excuse to interact with the random kiddos that I encounter.

With all this time with children, I've come to admire their spirit.  Kids are just so full of life!  Especially in the two babes that I care for weekly, I see a great curiosity as everything is new to them, as they explore the world around them.  I love the enthusiasm of children!  I treasure the excitement of the 2 year old as we ventured off to the "jungle" on another adventure, the simply joy of the 7 year old responding to the museum as if it were Disney land, the grand adventure of the 5year old catching new bugs, the imagination of the eight year old scheming things not of this world, the innocent pride of the nine year old when she accomplishes a new task, the thrill of the 3 year old as she discovers the sweetness of life, the excited glee of the 9 month old as she takes her first steps, the contagious laugh of the 8 month old as he revels in tickles, the lively worship of the 8 year old as he dances his praises to Jesus, the passion of the 4 year old as he prays to God, the secure faith of the 6 year who declares confidently the character of God.

Yes, perhaps I spend too much time with children.  Yet through these interactions, God has challenged me.  God reminds me of the simple things in life, of the joy of the discovery of His creation and His character.  He reminds me of the goodness of simplicity and the pain of complicating His world and His promise.  He reminds me of the purity and joy of childlike faith.  He leaves me with a longing to be like this child, to love boundlessly and live fully, to find joy and excitement in every day life, to be not only content but enthusiastic about this day that the LORD has given me.


And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.  Matthew 18:2-6 ESV
See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.  Matthew 18:10 ESV


















No comments: