Sunday, December 2, 2012

Joy

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:4-7

At church this morning, we sang a song about rejoicing in the LORD, and this thought hit me:  because of what God has done for us, we have every reason to rejoice.

I'm not talking about praising God when life is going well.  I'm not talking about thanking God for the multitude of blessings that He pours out into my life every day.  

Rather, the magnitude of what God has done for us through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross truly hit me.  I couldn't help but stand in awe of what this act alone means.  Even if God would take away every single other thing He has ever given me and left me with Christ alone, that would be more than enough.

Sit with that thought, dear friends.  Ruminate on it for awhile.  Let this idea that we so often take for granted truly transform your mind.  

As I do just that, I can't help but rejoice, can't help but sing, can't help but dance.  Look what my great God has done!  

Despite the trials and tribulations and heartaches and frustrations of this world, my God sent His only Son to die for me that I may have eternal life, that I may be redeemed, that my relationship with Yahweh may be restored.  

No matter what else is going on in my life, that in itself is more than enough to cause me to rejoice.  

Surely he took up our infirmities
    and carried our sorrows,
yet we considered him stricken by God,
    smitten by him, and afflicted.
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
    he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
    and by his wounds we are healed.

Isaiah 53:4-5


No comments: