Thursday, June 13, 2013

Steak


Sitting in class the other day, my professor commented on the relationship between sin and being in the presence of God.  Essentially, he stated that the more and more we experience God's presence, the less and less appeal sin has until it eventually becomes repulsive to us.  He liked it to putting a steak, a food considered a delicacy by many, in front of a vegan.  The vegan is simply disgusted/appalled by the meat in front of him or her.
Being a vegetarian for a good chunk of my life, the analogy was not lost on me.  Even his mention of steak brought a scowl to my face, proving his point.  Realizing how disgusted I felt simply by the thought of eating this meat, I asked myself why I didn't feel that same repulsion toward sin.  Why don't I feel sickened by the thought of disobeying God?  Why don't I flee from the very thought of turning from His way?  Why do I embrace such a abhorrent act?

Father, forgive me for forfeiting Your plan for my pleasure.  Forgive me for not trusting You.  Forgive me for arrogantly believing my way is better than Yours.  Teach me to obey completely.  Where You lead, I will follow.




No comments: