Saturday, June 15, 2013

Striving 2.0

Long before I found my love of running, I found my love for exploring.  As a child, it was normal to find me venturing through the neighboring woods, seeking new discovers.  Now when I run, I usually have a destination or goal in mind; when I ran through the beautiful landscape of the Half, I didn't stop to smell the roses; even during my casual run this morning I didn't take time to venture through the trees.  The goals of my endeavor have changed.  And while their is a joy and goodness in the vigor of a good run, there's also a loss.  As I push myself to travel further, I miss the details of the gentle beauty of God's creation around me.



As I attended the funeral of a beautiful young girl this afternoon, I was reminded that this is often true of life.  As I grow older and embrace adulthood, my goals have changed.  Instead of the childhood goals of daily play, my eyes are fixed on the realities of being a responsible adult and the things I must take on to accomplish my dreams.  I rush through life striving for the prize that lies just ahead.  And while their is good and joy in this, there is also a loss.  You see, sometimes I become so enthralled with my own plans, my own hope for the future, that I miss the beauty of the life God has for me now.  While I notice a glimpse of it in passing, I don't see the intricate beauty of the things that He's given me today.  To do that, I must make the conscious choice to stop and pray, asking my Papa what He has for me today.  Asking Him to continue to fill my head with dreams greater than I could ever image, yet give me the wisdom in knowing what I must pursue today.  Asking Him to give me the wisdom to prepare for tomorrow as well as to fully embrace the gifts and  opportunities His given me today.  Asking Him to teach me to surrender all to Him, to let go of my to-do list that He may reign fully in my life.
To God be the glory, now and forever!

No comments: